Napa cabbage is called Chinese cabbage by many. In Mandarin, its name is Bai Cai, or Da Bai Cai. Da means "big" because it is a heavy vegetable that contains much water. That's a good sigh for it to be a diet veggie, high fiber, much water and nutrition.
Once you know Napa cabbage nutrition facts, you may be surprised and will love this veggie more. The similar looking iceberg lettuce can’t compare with its nutritional benefits. This hearty item has a few healthy surprises in store for you. 1 cup raw shredded Napa cabbage has:
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 1 g
Vitamin A: 26% RDA
Vitamin C: 46% RDA
Napa cabbage also contains phytochemicals or indoles that can convert estradiol, an estrogenlike hormone that may play a role in breast cancer's development, into a safer form of estrogen.
This gives us enough reasons to add Napa cabbage into our diet. Besides, it can be very delicious. Let's start with one of the Chinese cabbage recipes, a very simple one.
1. Put oil in a wok over high heat.
2. While you wait for the oil to heat, put sugar, vinegar and salt in a bowl. Add a little water, just enough to dissolve the cornstarch in another small bowl if you choose to use it.
3. When the oil is hot, put in chilies and green onion until aromatic, then add the Napa cabbage. Stir fry quickly.
4. Add the vinegar mixture. Stir fry a few more times.
5. Add bouillon and cornstarch mixture, stir well.
6. Take out and enjoy the Napa Cabbage with Red Chilies!
More Napa Cabbage Recipes
comments powered by Disqus